General view from the east of the entrance to the Urdvabahu Gumpha, Udayagiri
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Urdvabahu Gumpha, Udayagiri, Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by William Henry Cornish, in c.1892. In the twin hills of Khandgiri, or Khandagiri, and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, is a group of Jain cave temples called 'gumpha' locally. Most of them were excavated in the period of the Chedi dynasty in the 1st century BC. Situated to the north of the Bagh Gumpha, the Urdvabahu Gumpha consists of one-storey chamber. The verandah has three pillars with projecting brackets carved like female figures. This is a general view of the cave from the east, showing the entrance.