General view from the north-east of the entrance to the Vaikunthapuri Gumpha, Udayagiri
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the entrance to the Vaikunthapuri Gumpha, Udayagiri, taken by William Henry Cornish in c.1892, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. In the twin hills of Khandgiri, or Khandagiri, and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, there is a series of Jain cave temples called 'gumpha' locally. Most of them were excavated in the period of the Chedi kings in the 1st century BC. This is an oblique view of the entrance of the Vaikunthapuri cave, taken from the north-easte, with a figure posed at the mouth of the cave.