General view of the Jami Masjid, Agra.
Photographer: Caney, W.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Jami Masjid, Agra from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections taken by W. Caney in the 1880s. Agra lies on the west bank of the River Jumna. Almost opposite the Fort's Delhi Gate stands the Jami Masjid, the main congregational mosque of the city. It was built in 1648 by Shah Jahan (r.1628-58) in the name of his eldest and favourite daughter, Jahanara. The mosque stands on a plinth with steps on the east and south sides. There are five arched entrances to the courtyard topped by three large domes of sandstone.