General view of Fatehpur Sikri, from the top of the Buland Darwaza, looking towards the Agra Gate
Photographer: Smith, Edmund William
Medium: Photographic print
View across the court of the Jami Masjid, Fatehpur Sikri, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. This photograph was taken from the top of the Buland Darwaza of the Jami Masjid, by Edmund William Smith in 1893. The palace-city complex at Fatehpur Sikri was built by the Mughal Emperor Akbar (r.1556-1605). The Jami Masjid was completed in 1572 and dedicated to Shaikh Salim Chisti after he predicted the birth of Akbar's son and heir Prince Salim, later Emperor Jahangir (r.1605-27). To the left of this view is the tomb of Islam Khan, a red sandstone building topped by a dome and thirty six small domed chattris. This building contains a number of graves, some un-named, who were all descendents of Shaikh Salim Chisti, whose own tomb is also in the courtyard. Akbar only occupied Fatehpur Sikri for fifteen years before he abandoned the city and moved to Lahore. Later in 1598 he moved the capital to Agra, where he had begun his reign.