General view of Fatehpur Sikri, from the top of the Buland Darwaza, looking towards the Agra Gate.
Photographer: Smith, Edmund William
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Fatehpur Sikri, from the top of the Buland Darwaza of the Jami Masjid, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Edmund William Smith in 1893. The palace-city complex at Fatehpur Sikri was built by the Mughal Emperor Akbar (r.1556-1605). The Jami Masjid was completed in 1572 and dedicated to Shaikh Salim Chisti, whose refuge was nearby. The tomb of the saint is situated in the courtyard. Akbar only occupied the city for fifteen years before he abandoned it and moved to Lahore. Later in 1598 he moved the capital to Agra, where he had begun his reign.