General view from the north of the Girls' School, Fathepur Sikri
Photographer: Smith, Edmund William
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Girl's School at Fatehpur Sikri, taken by Edmund William Smith in 1893, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. Fatehpur Sikri was built by the Mughal Emperor Akbar (r.1556-1605) between 1571 and 1585. The Girl's school, a large pillared building surrounded by a verandah is situated on the north-western corner of the Khas Mahal. The building overlooks a courtyard part of which is laid out like a giant Pachisi board, a game similar to Chess.