General view looking south-west across the courtyard of the Jami Masjid, Fatehpur Sikri
Photographer: Smith, Edmund William
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jami Masjid at Fatehpur Sikri, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Edmund William Smith in 1893. The palace-city complex at Fatehpur Sikri was built by the Mughal Emperor Akbar (r.1556-1605); the Jami Masjid was completed in 1572. Akbar built his city close to the saint Shaikh Salim Chisti's refuge, after the saint had successfully predicted the birth of the Emperor's heir, Prince Salim, later Emperor Jahangir. This view shows the courtyard of the mosque looking south-west, with the Buland Darwaza (Victory Gate) to the left and the entrance to the liwan (main sanctuary) on the right. Small kiosks, or chhatris, stand in a line along the roof of the mosque and on top of the two raised entrance gateways.