General view of the Jami Masjid, Mathura
Photographer: Caney, W.
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph was taken by W Caney in the 1870s in Mathura. It shows the sanctuary facade of the 'jami masjid' or congregational mosque built in 1660-1 by its governor, Abd-un-Nab, during the reign of the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb. The sanctuary is roofed with three bulbous domes topped with lotus finials, the central dome rather larger than those at its flanks. At either end of the facade are small domed kiosks which are influenced by Hindu architecture. The facade comprises three recessed arches, the two side recessions dominated by the high central 'pishtaq', decorated with floral motifs and depictions of cypress trees. There are four minarets, each standing at 40 metres in height. The facade is decorated with the ninety-nine names of God and Persian inscriptions.