General view of the Lal Banglah, containing the tombs of Lal Kanwar and Begam Jan, Delhi
Photographer: Cole, Henry Hardy (1843-1916)
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Lal Bangla in Delhi from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken in the 1880s and attributed to Henry Hardy Cole The attribution is probably incorrect as there is no positive indication that Cole was a practical photographer. This is a general view of the Lal Bangla or Red Pavilions, tombs built in a walled garden by the Mughal emperor Shah Alam II (r.1760-1806) in c.1780 for his mother, Lal Kunwar and his daughter Begum Jan. They are domed structures built in red stone with three arches on each side.