General view of the Bibi-ki- Masjid, Burhanpur, Nimar District
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Bibi-ki-Masjid (Mosque of the Lady) at Burhanpur in Madhya Pradesh, taken by Henry Cousens in c. 1892-94. Burhanpur is situated on the north bank of the River Tapti and was founded in about 1400 by Nasir Khan; the first of the Faruki kings of Kandesh who would rule the city for the next 200 years. The city is surrounded by ramparts and several large gates give access to its centre. Describing the Bibi-ki-Masjid, Alexander Cunningham wrote in his Report for the Archaeological Survey of India for the years 1872-74 (Vol IX), "The masjid is a simple rectangle in plan...There are three large arches in the front wall...The two towers which flank the middle arch, are five storeys in height; but only the two lower storeys are of stone, the three upper ones being of brick...The masjid is a good deal injured from the effects of time and weather. The walls of the courtyard are dilapidated, and the entrance gateway is closed."