General view of the group of temples at Ranipur Jharia
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a group of temples at Ranipur Jharial, taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1874-76. This site is situated on a rocky hill and was an important centre in the 9th-13th centuries. Originally there were one hundred and twenty temples at Ranipur Jharial however there are only fifty temples still standing today. Most are small and have no sculptural ornamentation. The large quantity of religious architecture can be explained by an inscription written on one of the larger temples which claims that the site was a tirath, an important centre of pilgrimage, between the 9th and 13th centuries. The temples are divided into four main groups arranged around a central, oval shaped tank. The members of each group were built at the same time to a similar design and from similar materials. This is a slightly distant view of one of these groups, looking across a lake or tank towards the temples which have a curvilinear tower capped by an amalaka stone.