General view of the Udayeshvara Temple, Udayapur
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the the north-east of the Udayeshvara Temple, Udayapur taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1871 or 1872. The Udayeshvara temple, erected in 1080 by king Udayaditya, is the finest temple of the Paramara period. The temple faces east and stands on a platform approached by a stairway flanked by large Shiva door guardians. The sanctuary and the mandapa have a stepped, almost circular plan and are decorated with remarkable sculpture panels. The superstructure is curved and has many tiers of miniature towers with arch-like motifs and is crowned by a large amalaka. The mandapa is entered through three porches has a pyramidal roof.