General view of the Chitragupta Temple, Khajuraho
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Chitragupta Temple at Khajuraho from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Indian Museum Series (Duplicates), taken by Joseph David in 1871-72. Khajuraho was the capital of the Chandella dynasty who ascended to the power in the 10th -11th centuries in Central India. They were great builders and adorned the site with many tanks and Hindu and Jain temples; twenty-five out of the eighty-five originally existing are still extant. These temples represent the culmination of the Nagara or North Indian style for their complex schemes as well as the splendid sculptures that cover them which are among the masterpieces of Indian art. The Chitragupta Temple was built in the early 11th century and is dedicated to Surya, the sun. It is elevated on a carved platform. The walls of the sanctuary and of the mandapa or hall are covered with fine sculptures. The tall tower is made of a cluster of miniature towers crowned by amalakas.