General view of the Jagadambi Temple, Khajuraho
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jagadambi Temple at Khajuraho from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections (Indian Museum Series), taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1871-72. Khajuraho was the capital of the Chandella dynasty which ruled in central India in the ninth century. Of the numerous temples that were erected at this site only about twenty-five have survived. They represent the culmination of the central Indian style of architecture and the sensuous sculptures that decorate them are among the masterpieces of Indian art. The Jagadambi Temple, originally dedicated to Vishnu and later to Kali, dates from the mid-11th century and consists of a towered sanctuary with a passageway preceded by a hall with a porch. The outer walls are completely covered with sculptures depicting various deities, amorous couples and sensuous maidens typical of the mature Chandella style. Rearing beasts are positioned in the wall recesses.