General view of the remains of the Ghantai Temple, Khajuraho
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph was taken by Joseph Beglar in 1871-2 for the Archaeological Survey of India. It shows a ruined pillared hall from the Ghantai Temple that dates back to the 10th Century. The temple takes its name from the fine carvings of chain and bell motifs on its columns, a design that is typical in the decoration of Hindu temple architecture.