General view from the south-west of the Kandariya Mahadeo Temple, Khajuraho
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Kandariya Mahadeva Temple at Khajuraho from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Indian Museum Series (Duplicates), taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1871-72. Khajuraho was the capital of the Chandella dynasty which ruled in central India in the ninth century. Of the numerous temples that were erected at this site only about twenty-five have survived. They represent the culmination of the central Indian style of architecture and the sensuous sculptures that decorate them are among the masterpieces of Indian art. The Kandariya Mahadeva Temple was built during the reign of king Vidyadhara (1017-1029) of the Chandella dynasty and represents the climax of Indian medieval architecture. The temple is accessed through an ornate portaland is raised on a platform. It consists of a sanctuary with circumambulatory corridor preceded by a mandapa or hall; five verandah with vestibule allow light onto the interior. The lower part of the tall spire is decorated with superb sculptures celebrated for their ritualised sexual postures.