General view from the north-east of the Kandariya Mahadeo Temple, Khajuraho
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the general view from the north-east of the Kandariya Mahadeo Temple, Khajuraho from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Indian Museum Series (Duplicates), taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1871-72. The Kandariya Mahadeva Temple was built during the reign of king Vidyadhara (1017-1029) of the Chandella dynasty and represents the climax of Indian medieval architecture. The temple is accessed through an ornate portal
and is raised on a platform. It consists of a sanctuary with circumambulatory corridor preceded by a mandapa; five verandah with vestibule allow light onto the interior. The lower part of the tall spire is decorated with superb sculptures celebrated for their ritualised sexual postures.