General view of the Javari Temple, Khajuraho
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Javari Temple at Khajuraho from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections (Indian Museum Series), taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1871-72. This small sandstone temple dates from the late 11th century. Khajuraho was the capital of the Chandella dynasty which ruled in central India in the ninth century. Of the numerous temples that were erected at this site only about twenty-five have survived. They represent the culmination of the central Indian style of architecture and the sensuous sculptures that decorate them are among the masterpieces of Indian art. The Javari Temple is small temple from the late 11th century. The towered sanctuary with its two porches stand on a terrace and the external walls are decorated with beautiful sculptures of voluptuous nymphs and amorous couples.