General view from the south-east of the Vamana Temple, Khajuraho
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Vamana Temple at Khajuraho from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Indian Museum Series (Duplicates), taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1871-72. Khajuraho was the capital of the Chandella dynasty which ruled in central India in the ninth century. Of the numerous temples that were erected at this site only about twenty-five have survived. They represent the culmination of the central Indian style of architecture and the sensuous sculptures that decorate them are among the masterpieces of Indian art. The Vamana Temple is a small sandstone temple from the 11th century of the Chandella period which enshrines a Vamana form of Vishnu. The spire that covers the sanctuary is covered by bands with arch-like motifs and is crowned by an amalaka with a pot finial. The outer walls of the sanctuary and of the porch are decorated by rows of beautiful sculptures of divinities, amorous couples and voluptuous nymphs.