General view from the north-east of the Visvanatha Temple, Khajuraho
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the general view from the north-east of the Visvanatha Temple, Khajuraho from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Indian Museum Series (Duplicates), taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1871-72. The Vishvanatha Temple was built by king Dhangadeva of the Chandella dynasty in 1002 as indicated by an inscribed slab found in the temple. The temple is raised on a terrace and consists of a sanctuary surrounded by a passageway, a mandapa, a porch and smaller projecting porches. The mandapa and the porch have pyramidal roofs while the sanctuary is covered by a tower with projections and miniature tower-like elements. The outer walls are adorned by 3 rows of sculptures depicting amorous scenes. The temple used to be surrounded by 4 smaller shrines but only 2 are still standing.