General view from the south-east of the Visvanatha Temple, Khajuraho
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Visvanatha Temple at Khajuraho from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Indian Museum Series (Duplicates), taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1871-72. Khajuraho was the capital of the Chandella dynasty which ruled in central India in the ninth century. Of the numerous temples that were
erected at this site only about twenty-five have survived. They represent the culmination of the central Indian style of architecture and the sensuous sculptures that decorate them are among the masterpieces of Indian art. The Vishvanatha Temple was built by king Dhangadeva of the Chandella dynasty in AD 1002 as indicated by an inscribed slab found in the temple. The temple is raised on a terrace and consists of a sanctuary surrounded by a passageway, a mandapa or hall, a porch and smaller projecting porches. The mandapa and the porch have pyramidal roofs while the sanctuary is covered by a tower with projections and miniature tower-like elements. The outer walls are adorned by three rows of sculptures depicting amorous scenes. The temple used to be surrounded by four smaller shrines but only two are still standing.