General view from the west of the Visvanatha Temple, Khajuraho
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Vishvanatha Temple at Khajuraho from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Indian Museum Series (Duplicates), taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1871-72. Khajuraho was the capital of the Chandella dynasty which ruled in central India in the ninth century. Of the numerous temples that were erected at this site only about twenty-five have survived. They represent the culmination of the central Indian style of architecture and the sensuous sculptures that decorate them are among the masterpieces of Indian art. The Vishvanatha Temple was erected in 1002 by King Dangadeva of the Chandella dynasty as indicated by an inscription found in the temple. The temple stands on a high terrace and the walls of the sanctuary and of the mandapa are adorned by three rows of sculptures depicting amorous scenes. The curvilinear tower has projections and clusters of miniature tower-like elements. The temple used to be surrounded by four smaller shrines but only two are still standing.