General view of the fort from below, Gwalior 10031419
Photographer: Cole, Henry Hardy
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Gwalior fort, Madhya Pradesh, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Henry Hardy Cole in c.1880. Since the eighth century Gwalior has had a succession of rulers including the Rajputs, Mughals and Marathas. The city rose to prominence during the period of Tomar Rajput rule between 1398 and 1518, particularly during the reign of Raja Man Singh (r.1486-1517). The fort stands on a long, narrow, sheer-sided hill almost 100 m (300 feet) high. A long ramp on the eastern side leads up through six gates to the main entrance of the fort and the summit of the hill. Within the fort there are several palaces, temples and many water tanks. This is a view looking up towards the fort, with an unidentified building in the foreground.