General view of the Jami Masjid, Gwalior
Photographer: Bourne and Shepherd
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jami Masjid in Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Bourne and Shepherd in c.1883. Gwalior was ruled by the Tomar dynasty throughout the 15th century before it was captured by Ibrahim Lodi in 1516, and later passed to the Mughals. The Jami Masjid is situated outside the gateway of the fort of Gwalior. It is a late Mughal building of red and white sandstone, built in 1661 by Mutamad Khan. The mosque has tall minarets and gilt domes with pinnacles.