General view of the town from the north, Orchha
Photographer: Smith, Edmund William
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the town of Orchha from the north, taken by Edmund William Smith in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. Orchha was founded as the capital of the Rajput state of Bundelkhand in Central India by Raja Rudra Pratap (r.1501-31) in 1501. The citadel is situated on an island in the Betwa river. Instead of having one palace that has been added to over the generations, Orchha has three separate palaces built next to each other. This is a view of Orchha with the palaces in the distance, on the skyline, on the far right; temples, or cenotaphs, by the river in the middleground, which can be identified by their tall pinnacles; and the Betwa River at the far left of the image.