General view from the north-east Jahangir Mandir Palace, Orchha
Photographer: Smith, Edmund William
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jahangir Mandir Palace in Orchha, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Edmund William Smith in the 1880s. Orchha was founded in 1501 by the Bundela Rajput Raja Rudra Pratap (r.1501-1531) on an island of rock beside the Betwa River, approached by a bridge. The city reached the height of its political power with its greatest architectural achievements during the reign of Raja Bir Singh Deo (r.1605-1627). Its fortunes later declined and it was eventually abandoned in 1783. The Jahangir Mandir was built in c.1605 by Bir Singh Deo and named after his imperial patron, the Mughal emperor Jahangir (r.1628-58). The palace is one of the finest examples of mediaeval fortification in India from the period of the Bundela Rajputs. The building is square and is crowned by domes with rounded angle bastions capped by open pavilions. There are eight domes and a number of small chattris. This is a view of the palace from the north-east.