General view of the Raghunathji Temple and surroundings, Orchha
Photographer: Smith, Edmund William
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Raghunathji Temple and the surroundings at Orchha, Madhya Pradesh, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Edmund William Smith in the 1880s. Orchha was founded as the capital of the Rajput state of Bundelkhand in Central India by Raja Rudra Pratap (r.1501-31) in 1501. The citadel is situated on an island in the Betwa river, and contains three palaces: the Ramji Mandir, the Raj Mandir and the Jahangir Mandir.