General view of the Palace and Fort from below, Amber
Photographer: Cole, Henry Hardy
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Amber Palace taken sometime in the 1880s and attributed to Henry Hardy Cole (probably incorrectly). Amber had been the site of a Rajput fortress since the eleventh century. The palace that remains today was begun by Raja Man Singh (r. 1592-1615). Alterations continued to be made throughout the seventeenth century by a succession of Rajput overlords before the fortress was eventually abandoned in the 1727. This print shows a general view of the Jaigarh fortress and its battlements.