General view from the south of the Kirthi Stambh or Jain Tower of Fame, Chittaurgarh [Chitorgarh]
Photographer: Baudesson, O.S.
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph was taken in 1882 for the Archaeological Survey of India. It shows the Kirthi Stambha, or Tower of Fame, begun in the thirteenth century as a monument to the Jain thirthankara Adinatha. The lower portion of the tower is decorated with a niche on each of the four faces containing large standing images of Adinatha. There are hundreds of smaller images of the same figure carved further up on the tower's exterior surfaces. The tower is eighty feet high and constructed of sandstone. It has an internal staircase by which to ascend to the small pavilion at the top. Chitorgarh in the modern-day state of Rajasthan was an important Rajput fortress throughout the medieval period. It served as a political capital, despite being sacked by both Ala-u'd-din Khalji in 1303 and Bahadur Shah of Gujarat in 1535, until it was finally taken by the Mughal emperor Akbar in 1567. It was later returned to Rajput control but never regained such prominence again.