General view of two small Jain temples, Chittaurgarh [Chitorgarh]
Photographer: Baudesson, O.S.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of two unnamed Jain temples in semi-ruinous condition at Chitorgarh taken by O.S. Baudesson in 1882. The fort of Chitor was under the rule of the Pratiharas and other dynasties from the seventh century. Many Hindu and Jain temples from this and later periods are preserved inside the fort. The towers over the temples in this view consist of clusters of miniature shrines and the outer walls are decorated with mouldings and sculptured panels with the images of various divinities. The oldest palace structures in the fort date to the rule of Rana Kumbha of Chitor (r. 1433-68). Chitorgarh in the modern-day state of Rajasthan was an important Rajput fortress throughout the medieval period. It served as a political capital, despite being sacked by both Ala-u'd-din Khalji in 1303 and Bahadur Shah of Gujarat in 1535, until it was finally taken by the Mughal emperor Akbar in 1567. It was later returned to Rajput control but never regained such prominence again.