Gateway to Padmini's Palace, Chittaurgarh
Photographer: Baudesson, O.S.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the gateway to Padmini's Palace, Chittaurgarh taken by O.S. Baudesson in 1882. Padmini's palace is located within the fort at Chitor. The fort came under the rule of the Pratiharas and other dynasties from the seventh century. Many Hindu and Jain temples from this and later periods are preserved inside the fort, like the example shown in this photograph. The oldest palace structures in the fort date to the rule of Rana Kumbha of Chitor (r. 1433-68). Chitorgarh in the modern-day state of Rajasthan was an important Rajput fortress throughout the medieval period. It served as a political capital, despite being sacked by both Ala-u'd-din Khalji in 1303 and Bahadur Shah of Gujarat in 1535, until it was finally taken by the Mughal emperor Akbar in 1567. It was later returned to Rajput control but never regained such prominence again. The Palace of Padmini is a three storey structure that stands in the centre of a tank. This is a view of the gateway with carved decoration set into wall.