General view from the front of the (?) Ekalinga Temple, Eklingji
Photographer: Baudesson, O.S.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Ekalinga Temple, Eklingji taken by O.S. Baudesson in 1882. Eklingji is situated in the Rajsamand district of Rajasthan. The town is best known for a large Hindu sanctuary built close to a small lake. The Ekalinga Temple is located in this compound and is dedicated to Shiva Eklingji, the tutelary deity of rulers of Udaipur of the 15th Century. A four faced image of Shiva is located inside made from black marble and facing it is a silver Nandi. The temple's interior, and the doorway in particular is decorated with silver. The temple consists of a sanctuary and a two-storeyed mandapa surrounded by a solid wall. These structures are built on a stepped plan and are made of marble. The sanctuary is covered by a clustered spire and the mandapa roof is made by a pyramid of architectural motifs.