General view of the Jagdish Temple, Udaipur
Photographer: Baudesson, O.S.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jagdish Temple, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by O.S. Baudesson in 1882. The Jagdish Temple dates from 1651 and is dedicated to Vishnu as Jagannath, Lord of the Universe. The outer walls are elaborately carved; the basement has multi-faceted mouldings including friezes of elephants. Two tiers of sculptures representing the various divinities are set on the wall recesses and projections. Above the sanctuary rises the clustered curvilinear tower. This is a view from outside looking towards the steep flight of steps up to the entrance, with the mandapa and shikara of the temple visible beyond.