General view of Shah Alam's Mosque, Ahmadabad 10031692
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Shah Alam's Mosque in the city of Ahmadabad in Gujarat, taken in the 1880s by Henry Cousens, from the Archaeological Survey of India. The mosque, built by Muhammad Salih Badakhshi, is situated in a complex of buildings two miles outside the city, which includes Shah Alam's tomb (1485) and the Jamaat Khana or Assembly Hall (c.1565). The mosque's minarets with seven storeys, added later, were damaged in the 1819 earthquake and repaired in 1863. Shah Alam was the son of the Muslim saint Qutb-ul Alam (d.1452) who is buried at Batura, six miles to the south of the city. This photograph is taken from the upper storey of the Audience Hall, looking south-west across the courtyard towards the main buildings of the mosque. The ablution tank is in the right foreground.