Photograph of ruins and standing pillar at Chandravati taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s. Cousens reported at the time this was taken: ''Save portions of the basement of one temple, and a few blocks of the back wall of another, nothing now remains of the beautiful shrines discovered in 1822, excepting one solitary column which, by its loneliness, accentuates the desolation around it. A short walk from this reveals one of the chief causes of this; for there, under the railway bridge, on each side of the stone piers, in the river bed, lie in heaps upwards of a hundred cart-loads of sculptured fragments and images, - the unused portions of the vast amount of marble carried off from these temples. It has been used wholesale on the railway, to build the piers of the neighbouring bridges and culverts and to break up for metalling the permanent way. Nor is this at all a solitary instance of such wanton destruction by railway contractors and others: it has been only too common.''