General view from the north-east of the tomb and mosque of the Ibrahim Rauza, Bijapur
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Ibrahim Rauza in Bijapur, Karnataka, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken in the 1880s by Henry Cousens. The Ibrahim Rauza (1627) is the mausoleum complex where Ibrahim Adil Shah II (r.1580-1627) is buried with his queen, Taj Sultana. Exceptionally conceived and finely decorated, it is one of the supreme achievements of the Adil Shahis rulers. Designed by a Persian architect, Malik Sandal, the tomb and a mosque are set in a walled garden facing each other over an ornamental pond. Graceful minarets mark the corners of each building, surmounted by a dome rising from a lotus petal base.To the left, in the photograph, is the Tomb of Ibrahim, Adil Shah, his wife Taj Sultan, and four other members of his family. To the right is the Mosque with five arches beneath a finely detailed cornice and four slender minarets at the corners. The entrance gateway is in the centre.