General view from the front of the Ratnachand Javherachand Temple, in the Tuk of Lalachand Modi Premchand, Satrunjaya
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Ratnachand Javherachand Temple at Satrunjaya, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections taken by Henry Cousens in the1880s-90s. Satrunjaya is an ancient Jain place of pilgrimage where it is believed that Pundarika, the main disciple of the first Jain Tirthankara Adinatha, obtained enlightenment. On the two summits of the hill, which rise 600 m above the plain around the town of Palitana, there are many hundreds of multi-spired temples where pilgrims come to pay reverence to the different Jain saints. The sanctuaries are grouped in fortified enclosures or tuks, named after their founders and are not earlier than the 16th Century. The temple in this view is situated in the south-east corner of the Tuk of Lalachand Modi Premchand on the northern ridge of the hill. The temple of Javheri Ratnachand was erected in 1803. The flat roof shrine is covered by a spire.