General view from the north-west of the Ambaranatha Temple, Ambarnath
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the north west of the Ambaranatha temple, Ambarnath taken by Henry Cousens in either the 1880s or the 1890s. Ambarnath is situated in the modern state of Maharashtra. The Ambaranatha Temple was built in 1060 as recorded in an inscription found in the temple and was built in the Yadava style of architecture. The temple faces west and consists of a sanctuary and a mandapa or hall with three porches, all built on a stepped plan. A tall Shikara or tower rises above the temple which repeats the designs of the walls below. This photograph shows the west entrance porch with Nandi. The walls have mouldings and sculpture panels of graceful female figures in the recesses and three principal niches in the centre of each wall. The superstructure over the sanctuary has almost collapsed and is surrounded by a cluster of miniature towers continuing the wall projections while the mandapa has a pyramidal roof.