General view of the Rajalinga Temple, Bhubaneshwar
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
A view of the Lingaraja Temple at Bhubaneshwar, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by William Henry Cornish in 1869. The Lingaraja temple complex, with its numerous subsidiary shrines, is the largest and most important of the temples of Bhubaneswar. It was built in the late 11th Century in the characteristic Nagara style of Orissa. The temple consists of a sanctum towered by a curvilinear superstructure, called rekha deul, divided into vertical bands and capped by an amalaka and a pot finial. The 55m tower dominates the landscape. Shiva is venerated in the temple in a massive linga form. In front of the sanctuary are the jagmohana (pillared porch), nata mandir (dancing hall) and bhoga-mandapa (hall of offerings), covered by pyramidal roofs. The latter two were added after the sanctuary and the porch.