Gopura of the Ranganatha Temple, Srirangam 10032463
Photographer: Nicholas and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a view looking along the street towards the gopura in the Ranganatha Temple, with an open-sided mandapa in the foreground, attributed to H.H. Cole in Bloch's list, but almost certainly one of the series of views taken for Cole by Nicholas & Co c.1884. The Ranganatha Temple is a Vaishnava complex situated on the holy island of Srirangam in the Cauvery River. The building of the temple started in the Chola period but most of the temple was built between the 13th and the 17th centuries under the patronage of the Pandya, Hoysala, Vijayanagara and Nayaka rulers. The temple covers an area of 63 hectares divided into 7 concentric enclosures with tall gateways or gopuras in the middle of four sides. The gopuras at Srirangam consist of pyramidal brick and plaster towers covered with bright coloured sculptures. The gopura in this view stands inside the main east entrance to the temple complex.