General view of the Kuthodaw Pagoda, Mandalay
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Kuthodaw Pagoda, Mandalay taken by an unknown photographer in the 1880s. The Kuthodaw Pagoda, also known as Maha Lawka Marazein Pagoda, lies to the north-east of Mandalay at the base of Mandalay Hill. It was built by King Mindon Min as a meritorious work and building commenced in 1857, the year that the walled city of Mandalay was founded. It follows the form of the 11th-century Shwezigon Pagoda at Nyaung U near Bagan, with a bell-shaped dome rising from an octagonal base set on three receding square terraces. The dome narrows to a ringed conical finial and is crowned by a hti or umbrella. On each of the four sides of the pagoda there is a flight of steps and a small, square shrine. The Kuthodaw Pagoda is revered for the 729 marble slabs carved with the entire Tipitika or Buddhist canon which form part of the pagoda and are contained within the multitude of shrines surrounding the main stupa.