General view of the Eindawya Pagoda, Mandalay
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Eindawya Pagoda, Mandalay taken by an unknown photographer in the 1880s. The Eindawya Pagoda was built by King Pagan Min in 1847 and today lies south-west of the palace fortress in the city centre. Between 1841 and 1857 a city located seven miles to the south called Amarapura served as the royal capital. Mandalay became the new capital in 1857 and therefore the pagoda predates the foundation of the city as the capital. It is an elegantly proportioned stupa, with a bell-shaped dome set on an octagonal base and three receding square terraces. The dome rises to a tapering ringed cone crowned by a hti or umbrella. On each of the four sides of the pagoda there is a flight of steps and a small, square shrine. The main shrine houses a Buddha image made of chalcedony.