General view of Khandagiri Hill from the south-east[?], with the modern Jain temple on the summit and Jain cave temples below
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Khandagiri Hill, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by William Henry Cornish in c.1892. This image is credited to Caddy in Bloch's list (in which case the date would be 1895), but it is more likely to be by Cornish. In the twin hills of Khandgiri, (or Khandagiri) and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, there are some Jain cave temples called 'gumpha' locally. Most of them were excavated in the period of the Chedi dynasty in the 1st century BC. At the summit of Khandgiri or 'Broken Hill' there is a Jain temple from the 19th century built in the traditional Orissan style of architecture. This view appears to be from the north-east rather than the south-east; a modern Jain temple is visible on the summit of the hill with the Jain cave temples below.