General view of Udayagiri from the south-west, showing Jain cave temples cut into hillside 1003392a
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Udayagiri from the south-west, showing Jain cave temples cut into hillside, taken by William Henry Cornish in c.1892, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. In the twin hills of Khandgiri, or Khandagiri, and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, is a series of Jain cave temples called 'gumpha' locally, cut out of the sandstone. Most of them were excavated in the period of the Chedi dynasty of ancient Kalinga (now Orissa) in the 1st century BC. The caves, which were intended for the use of the Jain monastic community, are small and austere and have low flat ceilings. Some are double storeyed with pillared verandas. The facades of the larger caves are profusely decorated with sculptures.