General view of the facade of the Rani Gumpha, Udayagiri
Photographer: Caddy, Alexander E.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Rani Gumpha, Udayagiri, taken by Alexander E.Caddy in 1895, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. In the twin hills of Khandgiri, or Khandagiri, and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, is a series of Jain cave temples called 'gumpha' locally, cut out of the sandstone. Most of them were excavated in the period of the Chedi kings in the 1st century BC. The Rani Gumpha or the Queen's Cave is the largest and most richly carved of the Udayagiri caves. It has a double storey, excavated on three sides of a quadrangle, with a spacious courtyard.