General view Darjeeling.
Photographer: Bourne and Shepherd
Medium: Photographic print
View showing the town of Darjeeling with the snow capped eastern Himalayas in the distance, from the Elgin Collection: 'Spring Tours 1894-98', taken by Bourne and Shepherd in the1880s. Darjeeling in the Eastern Himalayas is built on a long spur projecting northwards like a letter Y from the Senchal-Singalia mountain range and descends the hillsides in a series of landings. Darjeeling was part of the territory of the Rajas of Sikkim till the 18th century and was given to the British in 1835. The British built a sanatorium here and it soon became the summer headquarters of the Bengal government. Tea-growing was introduced here and it is surrounded by terraces of tea gardens.