Gopuram [and] Muntapam, Srirungam, Trichinopoly
Photographer: Nicholas and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Elgin Collection: 'Autumn Tour 1895. Vol II' of the entrance gateway (gopura) and hall (mandapa) of the Ranganatha Temple at Srirangam, taken by Nicholas and Company in the 1890s. This is a sacred Vaishnava complex situated on the holy island of Srirangam. The building of the temple started in the Chola period but most of the works were carried out from the 13th to the 17th century under the patronage of the Pandya, Hoysala, Vijayanagara and Nayaka rulers. The temple covers an area of 63 hectares divided into 7 concentric enclosures with tall gateways or gopuras in the middle of four sides. These gopuras are pyramidal brick and plaster towers covered with bright coloured sculptures and a vaulted end with little pot finials.