Government House, Madras.
Photographer: Nicholas and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Elgin Collection: 'Autumn Tour 1895. Vol II' of the Government House, Madras by Nicholas and Company in the 1890s. The Government House was originally the house of a Portuguese merchant, Luis de Madeiros but was purchased by the East India Company in 1753. It was the home of successive Governors of Madras until Independence in 1947 when the Governor of Tamil Nadu moved to Raj Bhavan. The building has been extensively remodelled and enlarged over the years; an additional storey was added in 1860 and the huge verandah in 1895.