Government House, Guindy, Madras.
Photographer: Nicholas and Company
Medium: Photographic print
View of the Government House at Guindy on the outskirts of Madras in Tamil Nadu from the Elgin Collection: 'Autumn Tour 1895. Vol II' taken by Nicholas & Co. in the 1890s. The building was built as a weekend retreat for the Governor of Madras and was first inhabited by Sir Thomas Munro. It was later renovated and expanded in the mid-1800s. A British colonial bungalow in bright white chunam, today it is the Raj Bhawan, the residence of the governor of Tamil Nadu.