Government House, Mandalay
Photographer: Beato, Felice (1825-1907)
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Palace at Mandalay in Burma (Myanmar) from the Elgin Collection: ‘Autumn Tour 1898’, taken by Felice Beato in c.1890. The photograph is from an album devoted mainly to Lord Elgin's Burma tour of November to December 1898. Victor Alexander Bruce (1849-1917), 9th Earl of Elgin and 13th Earl of Kincardine, served as Viceroy of India between 1894 and 1899. Mandalay was founded in 1857 by King Mindon Min and became Burma’s last royal capital. During the Third Anglo-Burmese War in 1885 the city was occupied by the British. Following the annexation of Upper Burma in 1886, it was renamed Fort Dufferin and a military cantonment was built inside the city walls. This is a general view of part of the Palace, which was taken over for use as a Government House by the British during the period the photograph was taken.